All high school students (Grades 9-12) are required to complete 40 hours of community service as a graduation requirement according to Canadian Diploma Program .
The aim of this requirement is to encourage students to recognize the value of community involvement, develop self-confidence, learn new skills, and explore possible career paths.
The community service component compliments what is being done both academically and socially in Keystone. Community service hours are an impressive addition to college applications. The choice of community service program will be completed in consultation with the school administration and academic team in order to ensure that the experience has the maximum positive impact on the student and the community.
- Must complete hours outside of class time
- Must not be part of a credit course
- Must be unpaid activities
- Must not replace the role of a worker that would normally receive wages
Sample List of Eligible Activities
- Charitable Organizations : assisting with special events, programs, clerical tasks
- Environmental Projects : flower / tree planting, beautification projects, recycling
- Animal Care : volunteering in a veterinarian clinic, zoo, animal shelter
- Community Organizations : assisting with special events, food banks, community support services, shelters, clerical tasks
- Sports and Recreation : coaching, organizing special events, assisting with projects/events
- Health Agencies : volunteering in hospitals, hospices, blood donor clinics
- Senior Citizens : assisting in seniors’ residencies, providing services for seniors in the community
- Children / Youth Programs : assisting with children/youth programs, child care, camp
- Arts and Culture : volunteering in galleries, libraries, community productions
- Community Service for Individuals : assisting community members in need
- School Services : peer tutoring, assisting with school events, student council
If any activity does not fall within the categories approved by Keystone International Schools, the student must obtain written approval from the principal before beginning the activity.
Keystone Toronto students has plenty of different options to volunteer as Canada has lots of different private or public platforms to promote volunteer activity. We support our students to find the right organization and area for themselves throughout the year.