While Keystone Schools promotes and encourages community service throughout the school starting in primary school. All high school students (Grades 9-12) are required to complete 40 hours of community service as a graduation requirement. This requirement helps students increase their awareness of civic responsibility within the community.
Community service can have a lot of positive effects on students, such as helping them to develop skills such as work ethic, making contacts, and allowing them to improve the quality of life of others. The community service component compliments what is being done both academically and socially in Keystone. Community service hours are an impressive addition to college applications. The choice of community service program will be completed in consultation with the school administration and academic team in order to insure that the experience has the maximum positive impact on the student and the community.
- Must complete hours outside of class time
- Must not be part of a credit course
- Must be unpaid activities
- Must not replace the role of a worker that would normally receive wages
Sample List of Eligible Activities
- Charitable Organizations – assisting with special events, programs, clerical tasks
- Environmental Projects – flower / tree planting, beautification projects, recycling
- Animal Care – volunteering in a veterinarian clinic, zoo, animal shelter
- Community Organizations – assisting with special events, food banks, community support services, shelters, clerical tasks
- Sports and Recreation – coaching, organizing special events, assisting with projects/events
- Health Agencies – volunteering in hospitals, hospices, blood donor clinics
- Senior Citizens – assisting in seniors’ residencies, providing services for seniors in the community
- Children / Youth Programs – assisting with children/youth programs, child care, camp
- Arts and Culture – volunteering in galleries, libraries, community productions
- Community Service for Individuals – assisting community members in need
- School Services – peer tutoring, assisting with school events, student council
If any activity does not fall within the categories approved by Keystone International Schools, the student must obtain written approval from the principal before beginning the activity.